Documents Required for Crossing the Russian Federation Border


Foreign nationals and stateless persons entering into and exiting from the Russian Federation are required to present a valid identity document recognized as such by the Russian Federation and a visa.

To prove their identity, foreign nationals use a passport or other documents recognized as identity documents by the Russian Federation under international treaties to which the Russian Federation is a party.


Stateless persons prove their identity using:

1) Any document issued by a foreign country and recognized by the Russian Federation as a document which serves to prove identity of a stateless person under international treaties to which the Russian Federation is a party;

2) Temporary residence permit;

3) Residence permit.

Nationals of the countries that have signed a visa-free travels agreement with the Russian Federation containing clauses on visa-free entry into, exit from, movement across, transit through and stay in the Russian Federation, are exempt from the visa requirement.

The Russian Federation has signed bilateral agreements on visa-free travels with the following countries: Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Ukraine.

Nationals of the above countries have the right to a visa-free entry to Russia on their travel passports. Their first stay in Russia must not exceed 90 days. Upon signing of a student contract in accordance with the Russian legislation, their temporary stay in Russia is extended for the term of the contract but no longer than for one year that shall be calculated from the day of their entry into the Russian Federation. The decision on extension of temporary stay of a foreigner shall be made by the local office of the Federal Migration Service.

[nggallery id=182 template=caption]

Nationals of countries that require entry visa to travel to Russia enter the country for studies on a student visa issued by a diplomatic mission or consular office of the Russian Federation abroad. A student visa is issued based on a letter of invitation issued in accordance with the federal law.